We know the holidays are crazy -- it's the end of the quarter, the kids are home from school, you still have loads of last-minute holiday shopping to do -- you can barely even think straight, let alone figure out how you're going to give back this year. That's why we did all the heavy lifting for you: in order to present 7 ways you can easily add a little charity to your to-do list.
1. Make your workout routine work even harder - Just download the Charity Miles app for iOS or Android, pick a cause to support (there are tons of options), and get moving! They’ll donate $.25 per mile for running and walking, and $.10 per mile for biking.
2. Donate that old cell phone - Time for an upgrade? Taking advantage of a holiday sign-on deal? Don't let your old phone go to waste - the folks at Cell Phones for Soldiers will be happy to take it off your hands.
3. Put your web searches to good use - You'll be web surfing anyway, so choose a search engine that makes a donation every time you enter a burning question. We like Good Search (a well-established old favorite) and Bene, a newer organization started by Seattle high schoolers that donates 100% of its revenue.
4. Give the gift of vision - A $5 donation to VisionSpring is all it takes to provide glasses to someone in the developing world.
5. Sponsor a child or family in need with a donation to The Home for Little Wanderers - They've been helping homeless and orphaned children since the Civil War ended.
6. Shop local - We don't need to tell you all the benefits of supporting your local, independently owned businesses -- we know you're an old pro.
7. Be kind and smile - The easiest one of all! Remember that the holidays can be stressful for everyone. You can brighten someone's day simply by being kind: offer up the last parking space to a stranger or compliment someone who looks frazzled: you'll feel good and so will they.