The #1 Summer Vacation Destination? Chill-ville!

Feeling a tad tired and stressed? Thinking you need to get away, but don’t know where to go and what to do? The answer might be. . .nowhere and nothing. That’s what a new survey about summer travel reveals, according to the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

“The No. 1 thing Americans want to do on vacation is nothing. Almost three-fourths of Americans say resting and relaxing is very or extremely important to them when they go on vacation,” according to a report by Emily Swanson and Beth Harpaz of the Associated Press.

While unplugging and kicking back rate high on the list, most folks polled said they’d prefer not to stay home and do nothing at all. In fact, only 8 percent said they’d make it a “staycation,” while the remaining 92 percent voted to get away, if for no other reason than a change in scenery.

But whether you’re heading out of town or sunning in your own backyard, here are a few tips to help you chill out.

  • Take time out—literally. As clock-makers, we’re hesitant to say this, but eliminating reminders of time helps wipe away the stress of the daily grind. Consider stashing clocks and watches out of view – perhaps in a hotel safe or bedroom closet – for a few days.
  • Turn off cell-phone ringers and mute answering machines. Check messages only when you want to, keeping in mind that "not at all" may be a good option.
  • Turn on your “out-of-office” email notice – Whether your office is miles from home or in the basement, leave it behind. Tell colleagues you won't be checking emails until you're back from vacation. Then power down the computer and pretend it’s broken.
  • Skip the news - When you banish the source of stress, the stress itself may disappear. So keep the stress sources low by stopping the papers and switching off TV, radio and online news. If you’re home, try ignoring the mail for a few days. The earth will continue to turn even if you're not reading about it every morning. And, sadly, your bills will still be there when your vacation is over.


Relax and enjoy your time off!