The 31st Olympic Games are underway in Rio, but you can make the most of the festivities from your own home. How? Host an epic Olympic viewing party that your friends will be talking about until the next summer Olympics rolls around. From finding the right props to honing in on regional cuisine, here are our tips for how to host an Olympic viewing party for the ages.
1. Decorate Like a Pro Set the mood in your space by adding a little Olympic embellishment. For example, hang these bold Olympic rings front and center while using this string of international flags as garland.
2. Give Props A few simple props can boost the spirits of the young (and the young at heart) and get everyone feeling festive. At our Olympic viewing party we plan to hand out gold medals and metallic USA (temporary) tattoos.
3. Fun with Food Give guests a taste of Rio with regional finger foods like Pão de Queijo (Brazilian cheese bread), Pastel pastry pockets, and Espetinhos (Brazilian street kebabs). For something a bit more filling try an authentic Rice + Beans recipe, like this one from Brazilian blogger Elisa Teixeira. For dessert, go with team-inspired treats like these red, white, and blue funfetti cookie sandwiches and an Olympic cake.
4. Dazzle with Drinks Kids will get a kick out of drinking sports drinks like the athletes but it’s okay to offer up something a bit more daring for the adults. These flaming Olympic Torch cocktails are sure to be a party pleaser, but please, consume responsibly.
5. Time it Right Think about your guests’ interests when scheduling your Olympic viewing party. Check the broadcasting schedule to make sure you choose the right time for your soiree. Nautical enthusiasts? Pick a big sailing event. If your guests go wild for gymnastics, host your shindig during the team all-around finals. Some networks air primetime recaps, which pack all the day’s action into nicely timed segments — so just be sure to choose wisely, and have fun!